1/18/2018

Inspire :: Izziyana Suhaimi

5

When an image evokes an immediate question,
it is doubly powerful when the name of its series evokes yet another.

The looms in our bones #6
~ featuring Moroccan style embroidery ~

The looms in our bones #2
~ featuring Manchu tribal motifs ~


works in progress, courtesy of We Are Scout

Izziyana Suhaimi is masterful with her embroidery on paper
yet unlike so many women who hark back to their family members for stitching inspiration,
she is following quite a different focus.

"Embroidery is traditionally seen as a past-time of women, viewed in the domestic sphere and Izziyana is no stranger to it as both her grandmothers and mother are passionate about needlework and crochet. Not content to draw on her personal and family memories, Izziyana conducted extensive research for five years into the embroidery of various cultures and hopes to give this sacred language of women a modern honor."
~ review courtesy of 'Jack Is Not Dull' ~

The looms in our bones #7

"I enjoy the duality of embroidery, in its movements of stabbing, cutting, covering, building, repairing, taking apart. Every stitch made seems to unfold a story
and withhold it at the same time."


~ photo courtesy of Design Spotlight,
the Raffles Hotel, Singapore, 2013 ~

:::

To begin at the beginning of this album of makers,
please click this tag: Inspire-album

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Lisa, I am so happy you've been inspired, too!
      And thank you for your visit :>))

      Delete
  2. Stitch on paper has been on my mind ... thank you for this bit of synchronicity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is no easy feat, Liz, which I suppose is one reason I have such respect for Izzy's work and the kind of perfection she's achieved. I wonder if the tactile quality of the combined materials will intrigue you like it does me? Also, I hope if you give it a go you will come back & say how you fared?
      And you are most welcome!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your post, I look for such article along time, today i find it finally. this post give me lots of advise it is very useful for me.

    ReplyDelete