1/11/2018

Inspire :: following a thought born from emotion

18


Many times over the last months I've wondered why I haven't
been able to bring myself back to this blog. In truth, I've missed it sorely.
This spot used to be like a favorite room in my house,
fairly comfy (without the dust) where I gladly resided with a warm cuppa
(or a wee dram) and a contented dog companion glued to my feet.
But gradually, I grew uncomfortable with spending
time here and rather than push the issue for the sake of continuity,
I simply left the room altogether.  Not unlike relationships in life, I suppose,
where the best move can be to offer distance and reprieve.

Finally, today, I've sorted the reason 'why' I left, after months of not knowing.

I simply got sick & tired of talking about myself.

I do a bit of it still, if I'm honest, over on Instagram, but in much smaller doses
where the emphasis always feels like it's more about the pictures -
for some reason that feels more palatable for now.

I remember when I first started blogging, how difficult it was to express
thoughts and emotions to some invisible audience "out there." A most uncomfortable
position for an introvert to be in, while at the same time a  most perfect
outlet for an introvert (if that makes any sense at all).
Over time - years, in fact - that uncomfortableness waned ... until it didn't anymore
and I found myself full circle, poised in front of the keyboard
absolutely tongue-tied.

So what this all comes down to is that I'd like to reshape a way to be around.

One of my most valued pastimes is perusing artwork produced by those who strike
some sort of chord ... work wherein I find inspiration and/or solace
and which can often produce a launchpad for new creative ideas.
Although any genre has the spirit to pull, my particular love & focus is on textiles
and remains an abiding constant. Gosh, truly, there is SO MUCH amazing work 
happening with cloth; from massive installations, to incredible books, to even
the tiniest bits of recycled scrap embedded in collage. Often this work is made
by names I barely recognize or have never heard of altogether.
I'd like to post some of that work here.
To no set schedule.
To no particular timetable.

I'll call the album, 'Inspire'
and maybe it will do so for some of you, too.
And maybe then we can get back to some jolly good conversations again,
like the ole days.
I've missed that.

More soon.

18 comments:

  1. I hear you. my blog mostly varies between 'reactive' and publicising workshops these days...though I'm happy to say the next post (in a few days) is going to be about a collaboration, and so, may be worth reading....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best wishes for a rewarding new venture, India.

      Delete
  2. Sounds great ... I'm looking forward to meeting and greeting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, Tina ... you are most welcome here.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think you've nailed it. Feeling the same I've left off a few times, I've even stopped for a while (without committing to ending). Now I try to bring a mindfulness to the blog and if not much is happening I'll show some work in process. I do like connecting with others and find that it (usually) feels mutual. I look forward to what you do next!

      Delete
    2. I knew I wouldn't be alone in my sentiment, Velma, thanks for sayin yours. Am thinking a switch-up is gonna be a real good thing - some fresh air around here. And I agree about the connections.

      Delete
  4. wow ...well put..i been thinking about my blog too . i don't like talking about myself either . i love your blog .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many have disappeared out here. Does give me pause to wonder about "burn out" of some form or another. Is always best to follow our natures, me thinks, and not force what doesn't come naturally. Find another way!

      Thank you, Kathy.............

      Delete
  5. Totally know what you mean about the introvert aspect. I am not sure why I started blogging, I guess I just wanted a bit of feedback, but it is a great of connecting with other textile people. I think your idea is great, its exciting to see the work of other artists you might not come across otherwise. There is some extraordinary work out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie ... very pleased you'll be visiting. You, for one, have stood the test of time out here - BRAVO for that!!

      Delete
  6. Oh how I have missed you and your lovely poochie companion. I'll be glad to see what you share here, whether talk about you or what others have created. I don't fit the nitch of most of your textile friends, but I love the art of it.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, my ole pal, so much appreciated. My my, we have hung out thru thick & thin over the years, haven't we??

      Delete
  7. I've also missed you, when I saw your title post on my blog feed, I was like.......whoa!!!!! I understand about your reluctance.......I'm afraid sometimes I use my blog to express emotions that I have no other place to vent. But I also love that I can share my passion for weaving and textiles. Can't wait to see what you do next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If ANYONE needed a safe & bolstering place to vent, that was surely you, Hilary! I think blogging must have been like a life raft for you, more years than one. I still can't fathom how you were able to keep up with ANY weaving considering the physical challenges you battled and I will never tire of having the opportunity to view your beautiful work.

      Thanks for your very kind words...........

      Delete
  8. Okay ... third time trying to leave a comment (I'm a stubborn old cuss).

    I can totally relate to your introvert's dilemma ... that being said, it's so good to see you back and I'm looking forward to what you will be posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From one stubborn old cuss to another, third time's the charm?!

      Thank you so much, Liz.

      Delete
  9. I like to be inspired by others and my latest blog is about Ann Wood a New York mixed media artist. Her blog reads like a good magazine. Pop over and have a look, there’s a link to her blog on my post
    LYNN

    ReplyDelete