4/23/2017

Minding my maps

8

Merriam-Webster defines  map :
1 a:  a representation usually on a flat surface of the whole or a part of an area
b:  a representation of the celestial sphere or a part of it

2 :  something that represents with a clarity suggestive of a map
~ the Freudian 'map' of the mind -- Harold Bloom

so I got to thinking ....
could photographs act just as easily as maps of a  life?


If I mapped myself, what might that look like?
And if I focused on, say, my creative life, would it be telling?
Could I show the route from back there 
to here?

So I gave it a try & here's where it led me ...


To the convergence of paper and books


to beads on cloth with an uncertain latitude


towards an elusive north star


with an ever present guiding light


and a dear navigator who teaches all the compass points.


Just a small smattering of map pages - old directions & new ...
so yes,  I can see how I got here


but perhaps the more important question is
just where am I going?

[ this is where a hushed voice offers, "Only the cartographer knows for sure..." ]



8 comments:

  1. Nice!!! I enjoyed this! But, in my case, the cartographer doesn't always know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy your posts. There is depth to them--a soft sighing of the soul.
    Janet, Friday Harbor

    ReplyDelete
  3. ....and, as a very wise bear famously stated "wherever you go, there you are".

    ReplyDelete
  4. don't worry. just going leaves a trail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wherever you are headed, I am grateful that you include us in the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much to all of you for the kind & supportive words.
    Shall keep going and attempt to be fully in each moment as I do so!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, this feels true to me. You might be interested in a book called Maps of the Imagination:The Writer as Cartographer by Peter Turchi.

    ReplyDelete