12/02/2015

Closure :: metaphors in cloth

24

~ details on silk lace blouse, made by Vernon, 1915-1917 courtesy of Digitalt Museum ~


~ dress by Mariano Fortuny, ca. 1939 via The Costume Institute of the
Metropolitan Museum of Art ~


~ silk stomacher ca. 1720, The Metropolitan Museum of Art ~




~ garment design by Isabel Toledo, from the exhibit/book
 'Fashion From the Inside Out' ~


~ Paul, 1999, by Jackie Nickerson from the 'Farm' series ~


~ Peony Dress, Hand, San Francisco, 1997 by Linda Elvira Piedra
from 'The Story of My Love' ~


~ 'Savage Beauty' ensemble by Alexander McQueen, spring/summer collection 2001 ~


~ pattern on dress form, photographer unknown, France ~


~ photo by Lin & Jirsa ~


~ interior seam of boro jacket, sashiko stitched, from Sri Threads ~


~ pieced dress by Gibbous Fashions ~


~ detail from silk evening coat by Paul Poiret, ca 1912, The Metropolitan Museum of Art ~


s'enfuient' (The Air Shivers of Things Fleeing) ~


Closure
clo・sure
noun
1.  the act or process of closing, or the state of being closed.
2.  an end or conclusion
2.  a sense of resolution or finality at the end of an artistic work.




24 comments:

  1. gorgeous images. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beauty, each one beautiful...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Mary Ann, pleased you've enjoyed them.

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh!!! This is fantastic -- I can just imagine the hands that created these beauties - some of them stitched completely by hand I'm sure. What inspiration and don't you just love these muted, hand dyed texture to these fabrics?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do. I think I was needing to post some beauty, some kind of counterbalance to the ugliness in the news. I don't do politics on this blog - choose to leave that to others who can handle it so much better than I - but it doesn't mean I'm not effected or disinterested. So I find other ways to say things.

      Delete
  4. These images are a respite of beauty. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dana, I'm glad you feel that way, too.

      Delete
  5. a delish collection, me dear. thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, indi.
      Bit of balm I was hoping, from what's out there ........

      Delete
  6. my hands were aching to touch, very very carefully these amazing clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, I have that same feeling about them.
      Powerful [compelling] photography .... all of them.

      Delete
  7. My breath has returned now, and I can write a comment.
    Thank you very much for your delicious curating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thank you, Judy, for your visit & taking a moment to comment ....
      much appreciated.

      Delete
  8. love how that last photo with the butterflies is an opening!

    ReplyDelete
  9. for me, this is Textile Therapy! May I share it on my facebookgroup please!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear Marijke .... yes of course, it would be an honor.

      Delete
  10. Such a beautiful collection of images. Thank you for including one of mine. I am honored. The dress was given to me by a dear friend. It is periwinkle blue silk. My friend thought it was a Liberty pattern from somewhere around 1910.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ELVIRA! what a delight to have you comment ... thank you.
      What a gift that dress is and what a fine friend to have given it to you so you could create such a beautiful image with it. I'm happy to know you aren't offended in any way that I included it in my post ... truly, it is a most beautiful addition. If you still have this dress I bet it is one of your fondest treasures!
      Thanks again for the kind words, and for visiting.

      Delete